Third assessment session done

We have just finished our third session with our social worker. Today I finished off going over my family history etc. it is a strange experience really, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about my past or how it affects me now. I had a relatively simple homelike I think but was badly bullied at secondary school. It's strange going over things and is sort of cathartic really. It's funny hearing someone else relay your information back to you. Lesley is lovely and seems to really connect to us and I thinks finds us vaguely amusing ( think that's a positive!?) she did manage to reflect back to me that I use the word "control" a lot and now I feel very aware of it ... Also we had an odd moment when we were talking about my expectations of other. Neither off us could articulate what we were trying to say. It's so easy to get defensive and feel like you're being tricked into saying something bad, I know we're not and we both feel she is very much on our side.

Ben's turn next week so I will have a few sessions with the limelight off me, deep sigh ......

Also sorted out our membership with New Family Social and spoke to Andy. He's very friendly and am looking forward to exploring their new site.

More next week.

Comments

  1. Did you know that NFS runs the biggest event in the UK, the camp, for adopted and foster children, regardless of the sexuality of the parents.

    Shall I stop using your blog comments as a propaganda tool? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did know about the cam and am very keen to go when we have been matched. Think it is a great event.

    Feel free to highjack if it is about this sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the reference of Andy being 'President' : )

    Welcome to the searching journey of yourself, your partner and your wish to be a parent to the most amazing children in the world. It won't be easy as you may be aware (and that is just the assessment to approval bit) but with the right support around you (others who have adopted) you'll be wondering why others don't do it.

    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Andy - think he's going to get some stick for this. I should edit the post!

    Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Under no circumstances are you to edit the post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omgosh! You already edited it! Put it back! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. No! I not going to be responsible for people taking the Micky out of him. Not even met him yet! Sorry, can't upset el presidente.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I think we're matched .....

Second opinion